- Increasingly prevalent cases of osteoporosis are driving the market.
- Side-effects and adverse reactions by osteoporotic drugs may restrain the market.
- North America is expected to hold the major share for the osteoporosis drugs market.
Osteoporosis is a common disease characterized by porous bone structure, lower bone mass and reduced bone strength. Osteoporosis is a condition where the regrowth of bone is slower than the breakage of bone. It is estimated that worldwide around 200 million population are affected with osteoporosis and it causes around 9 million fractures annually which is a major public concern as the estimated cost of osteoporosis is about 19 billion in United States only.
According to the International Osteoporosis Foundation, women are more prone to osteoporosis than men due to comparatively thinner bones. Estrogen helps to maintain bone structure, therefore the women at their menopausal stage mostly get affected with osteoporosis. Geriatric population are more likely to develop osteoporosis due to loss in bone minerals. Inappropriate diet, physically inactive lifestyle, smoking, drinking alcohol, previous family history, prolonged usage of steroids are few of the risk factors of developing osteoporosis.
Rising geriatric population and post-menopausal women, increasing prevalent cases of osteoporosis in younger population, risk of hip, forearm, and spine fractures, increasing expenditures in R&D for new and innovative drug formulation are the critical driving forces of osteoporosis drugs market; while the side-effects and adverse reactions by osteoporotic drugs, issues in regulatory approval for drugs and lesser public awareness restrain the growth of the osteoporosis drugs market.
North America is expected to hold the major share for the osteoporosis drugs market followed by European market due to well-organized healthcare infrastructure, healthcare expenditure for R&D and rising health awareness among public. Asia-Pacific is anticipated to show higher growth due to large number of population and growing health awareness.
The Global Osteoporosis Drugs Market is segmented on the following bases:
- Global Osteoporosis Drugs Market Revenue By Drug class, 2015-2025
- Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators (SERMs)
- Hormone Therapy
- Denosumab (Bone Metabolism Regulator)
- Parathyroid hormone (PTH)
- Global Osteoporosis Drugs Market Revenue By Geography, 2015-2025
- North America
- Latin America
- Middle East and Africa
Key Players Identified for Global Osteoporosis Drugs Market include:
Few major players in Osteoporosis Drugs Market include Eli Lilly and Company, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd., Merck & Co, Inc., Novartis AG, Amgen, Inc., Novo Nordisk A/S, Actavis plc. Pfizer, Inc., GlaxoSmithKline plc., Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd and others.
This report offers:
- An overview of the global markets for Osteoporosis Drugs Market.
- Market trends assessment for the period 2015-2025, with historical information for 2015, and projections through 2025, with respective CAGRs during 2017-2025.
- Qualitative assessment tools such as market drivers, challenges and future prospects.
- Market competition scrutiny tools such as market share analysis, fractal map assessment.
- Focus on each level of market segmentation based on product approvals, launch, and current and anticipated market dynamics.
- A general overview of the industry structure.
- Company profiles highlighting key information about the major players operating in the Osteoporosis Drugs Market.